Political strategy video games have long been a staple of the gaming industry, allowing players to explore and interact with the principles of political science in a unique and entertaining way.
From the classic Civilization series to more recent titles like Democracy 3, gamers are able to explore different government systems and engage in diplomatic negotiations, economic management, and military tactics to achieve their political goals.
Here are some of the best political strategy video games that you should definitely be playing:
1. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI – This classic turn-based 4X game has been a staple of the genre for over 25 years and it continues to push boundaries in terms of complexity, scope and strategy. Players can choose from a variety of civilizations, from the ancient Egyptians to the current-day United States, and manage their own nation’s economy, military, science and culture.
2. Europa Universalis IV – This grand strategy game is set in the early modern period and allows players to take control of any country during that time period. Players will have access to a huge array of options for managing their nation’s economy, diplomacy, military and religion. They can also choose to form alliances or wage war against other countries in an attempt to conquer the world!
3. Democracy 3 – A more personal political simulation game set in modern day times where you take on the role of president or prime minister of a realistic country based on real-world data. You must manage the economy, infrastructure, social policies and more to keep your nation running smoothly.
4. Supreme Ruler 2020 – Set in modern day times with a global map of over 150 countries, this game puts you in charge of the entire planet! Players have access to a massive array of tools for managing their country’s government and military as they strive to become the world’s most powerful leader.
5. Hearts of Iron IV – This World War II-era grand strategy game puts players in charge of a nation and gives them complete control over their military, economy, diplomacy and politics. Players can choose to recreate actual events or create alternative histories as they attempt to conquer the world or forge lasting peace.
6. Victoria II – Set in the Victorian era, this real-time grand strategy game allows you to manage your country’s economy, population growth, production and technology during one of history’s most tumultuous periods. You will have access to a variety of tools for managing your nation’s international relations with other countries, including forming alliances and waging war!
7. Plague Inc: Evolved – In this unique simulation game you take on the role of a deadly virus looking to infect humanity by any means necessary! You must use clever strategies and tactics while adapting quickly to countermeasures taken by mankind if you want to succeed in wiping out all life on Earth!
8. Tropico 6 – Step into the shoes (or boots!) of a dictator as you build up your own banana republic from scratch in this city-building simulator set on an archipelago filled with tropical islands! Manage your economy, military and diplomatic relations as you strive to create the perfect paradise.
9. Age of Wonders: Planetfall – This space-faring fantasy turn-based 4X game allows you to control an empire as it spreads throughout the galaxy. Players can choose from a variety of different civilizations, each with its own unique abilities and strengths, and must manage their resources in order to achieve galactic domination or world peace!
10. Crusader Kings III – Rule your family dynasty through centuries of medieval warfare in this grand strategy game that allows you to take control of any number of countries during Europe’s Middle Ages! Engage in politics, diplomacy, crusades and conquests as you attempt to build a powerful dynasty that will last for generations!
11. EndWar Online – Command one side in WWIII–the United States Joint Strike Force or The European Federation–in this massively multiplayer online RTS where players can wage war against each other on an epic scale across Europe and North America. Develop your armies and use strategy and tactics to outwit your opponents in order to achieve global domination!
So there you have it–the 12 best political strategy video games that you should be playing right now!
Whether you’re looking to simulate world politics, explore alternate histories or simply manage your own banana republic, these games provide an immersive experience that will keep any gamer engaged for hours.
So grab a controller, dig into the game of your choice and get ready to conquer the world.
Good luck commander!